Sunday, January 31, 2010

When Mom is Too Sick to Cook

At the end of last year, I was at a friend's party in downtown Jersey City when a huge platter of warm empanadas were served. When I asked where they came friend my friend smiled. It turned out she had driven all the way to the Heights to pick these babies up. At $1 a piece I'm told they are the best, well-priced empanadas around.

Of course, we're no strangers to Rumba's since we live in the neighborhood but usually we are just dashing in for a cup of their fantastic coffee to go. (The wait staff somehow almost seem disappointed when I tell them I only want one sugar.) This warm, Cuban restaurant is extremely popular and never empty. Sometimes we'll get a roasted chicken dinner to go when we are having a busy night. Occasionally I've taken my daughter in on an early Saturday morning when dad is sleeping in. She gets a buttered roll and mom gets coffee. Here is a link to the menu.

Last week I was laid up with some strange flu-like bug and all I wanted was chicken soup and orange juice. Too weak to even contemplate dragging myself to the store and then into the kitchen, I walked into Rumba's and came out with an enormous container of chicken soup and another huge to go cup of FRESH squeezed OJ from Rumba's awesome retro-looking machine.
I paid $10.

There was plenty to satisfy the munchkin for dinner and it was just the right elixir for mom. Of course, I wouldn't mind if a Jewish deli opened nearby where I could get a nice matzo ball soup (because driving to Englewood or Tenafly is just too ridiculous when you are sick), but Rumba's can do right by you - whether you are sick or not, any day of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment